AATSEEL 2020 Soviet Literary Institutions
Please join us at the upcoming Soviet Literary Institutions stream at the AATSEEL conference in San Diego. The stream was co-organized by Kevin M. F. Platt, Olga Nechaeva, and Maya Kucherskaya.
We will hear about Soviet literary worlds, journals, creative retreats (Дома творчества), Creative Writing teaching institutions, rural journalists, and much more.
You can find the progam below.
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 2020
8:00am–10:00am, Gallery 2
Stream 2A: Soviet Literary Institutions (I)
Chair: Kevin M. F. Platt, University of Pennsylvania
- Olga Nechaeva, University of Pennsylvania. Title: The Gorky Institute of Literature: on the Emergence of a New Class of Soviet Writers in the 1930s - Early 1940s
- Maya Kucherskaya, Higher School of Economics. Title: “Stop Writing About Moonshine!” — How Rural Correspondents Were Trained in the 1920s
- Benjamin Musachio, Princeton University. Title: ‘Dom tvorchestva pisatelei’ and ‘Literaturnyi fond’: A Dubulti Dom Case Study
Discussant: Galin Tihanov, Queen Mary University of London
10:30am-12:15pm, Gallery 2
Stream 2A: Soviet Literary Institutions (II)
Chair: Maya Kucherskaya, HSE
- Alexander Jacobson, Princeton University. Title: Material Spiritualism: Viestnik teosofii and Theosophical Publishing under Bolshevik Rule
- Laura Little, Connecticut College. Title: Aping Tradition: Elena Shvarts’s “Chimposiums”
Discussant: Kevin M. F. Platt, University of Pennsylvania
1:30pm-3:30pm, Gallery 2
Stream 2A: Soviet Literary Institutions (III)
Chair: Olga Nechaeva, University of Pennsylvania
- Galin Tihanov, Queen Mary University of London. Title: I(M)LI: Towards an Institutional History of the Soviet "World Literature" Project
- Kevin M. F. Platt, University of Pennsylvania. Title: Literary Value in the Age of Three Worlds
Discussant: Serguei Oushakine, Princeton University
Concluding discussion of all participants of the results of the stream.